Re: Phase shifter problems

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 3/6/06 2:27:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I lashed everything up on the workbench, 10A
230V Variac in series with one line and a 7, 14 and 68µF
cap in parallel with a former 370Watt Motor which now runs
at 220W syncronous.

Christoph,

You probably need to use about 130uF or more for the capacitor.
The symptoms you give are that of a too-small capacitor.
As you increase the cap value, it will work better and better
until you get the resonant rise etc.   Your variac should be
fine.  I also updated and improved my description for
selecting the correct cap value at my website:

  http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html

John