Re: physically large coils

At 11:07 AM 3/8/2006, you wrote:
Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
Hi All,

Reminds me of a quest they have down here in the hills of W.Va.: How to build a 2-story mobile home with portable, in-ground pool that can be easily moved from place to place overnight whenever the lot rent comes due.;-)))) I don't think that there's any way around the fact that large, heavy objects require large, heavy moving equipment.

Indeed, but the challenge is in making a big TC not heavy.

A 6" coil with RSG, control console, NST farm, toroids, spare parts, and tools will pretty well max out something the size of a capped Ford Ranger and be loadable by one person. With a 12"-16" 10-20kVA pig, RSG, and a safe control console,

pshaw.. "safe" ... I was just going to grab wires with my bare hands to turn it on and off.

But realistically, the control console is just some switches and a couple of relays.

I think the only heavy part that is non-trivially overcome-able is the HV transformer and current control.

But, switch mode power supplies might be the answer. The challenge would be in finding something off-the-shelf and cheap that could be adapted (otherwise, you might as well get involved in building a big SSTC)

you're probably looking at a deuce & a half truck or a custom built trailer and 2 or more people to load. Bigger than that, and you're talking fork lift, side boom, and flatbed or enclosed commercial trailer, or a platoon of double hernias. :^((