Re: Mercury

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

I was over on the Mythbusters forums answering a question on Tesla's death ray and this thought occurred.

What if Tesla's latter insanity was caused by mercury?

We know he handled it a lot during his experiments in lighting, RF, and for his death ray/particle beam.

Old time hat makers used to use mercury for tanning beaver pelts used in top hats. This gave us the term "Mad Hatter". Mercury was found to be the cause of their insanity.

This would explain many of his wilder "scientific" claims around and after Wardencliffe.

David E Weiss"

The statement "What if Tesla's latter insanity was caused by mercury? " implies he was insane. I don't think "sane" person really believes he was. I've always thought he just enjoyed the attention some of those "wild claims" produced and was given to hyperbole. He maybe have become bitter and disillusioned but I can't see any evidence of mental instability in what he wrote even though I take issue with a lot of it.

Ed