Re: physically large coils

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello folks.

> But, switch mode power supplies might be the answer.  The challenge
> would be in finding something off-the-shelf and cheap that could be
> adapted (otherwise, you might as well get involved in building a big SSTC)
I had that thought, too. I myself have not the least practical experience with
this stuff, only a basic Idea how it works, but I always wondered how
hard it would be do design a10 to 15KV 1 to 5 or 10 KVA SPSU,
with modern power electronics this can't be a too big problem and
when running a DC output, RF troubles should be solvable. The only
point I am not sure of is, what could be the core of any output
transformer.... are there any big enough ferrite cores around?
Would certainly save a lot of wight and power controll could
easily incooperated.
best regards
Christop Bohr