RE: MOT Shunts?

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Norm:

Some have shunts and some do not.  My experience is that regardless
whether they have shunts or not they must be current limited.  I have
tested about (20) different MOT's, some with shunts, some without.  All
had 120 VAC primaries.  All pulled in excess of 30 amps on the primary
side with a shorted secondary.  Assembling (4) with secondaries in
series and primaries in parallel(2 in parallel on one side, two on other
side in anti-parallel) and placing a 16 mH current limiting inductor in
series with the primaries current limits the stack at between 16 and 20
amps.

Mark