Re: Mercury - not topic drift

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mike" <induction@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Then there is the distance from the UV light to the screen and the distance
> from the UV light to the tooth, to the screen. The light has in
> general the same
> distance. Considering that the UV has to pass through water vapor in the air
> of much greater volume than the tooth can contain at room pressure.
>
> This shows me more reasons why it can not be water vapor. In a spark gap,
> while we may see some metal vapors in shadow, I do not think the  UV
> shows water vapor. Burning electrodes, yes, water vapor, no.

If you perform the mercury-shadow demonstration, you'll find that the
water vapor from your warm skin does not create any vapor shadow.  Even if
you wet your hand, there's no visible plume of water vapor.  (We tried to
wash the tiny bit of mercury off.)

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-789-0775    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci