RE: No frills small Tesla coil

Original poster: "John F" <fuseboxr@xxxxxxxxxxx>

what is the frequency you are looking for?

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: No frills small Tesla coil
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:11:10 -0700

Original poster: Peter Nielsen <nielsenp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I need to build a small Tesla coil for lab work, but it is not my primary interest, at this stage.

I looked online, but could not find anything "low end", as it were.

Can anyone please advise where I can find plans for a TC that incorporates a spark gap and will produce just a tiny spark of about 1/2-3/4"?

That's not much, from what I have read. I am therefore expecting (needing) it to be small in size, maybe 6-8" high, and as easy to construct as possible.

I have seen soild state designs using an ignition coil and flyback transformer, but I am studying high frequency skin effects and 14KHz is too low.

12VDC input is preferred, but mains voltage would suffice, if necessary.

I am sure the other members of this list have seen just about every design around. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I don't mind buying a kit or plans, if they are appropriate to the above.

Peter Nielsen
SCU