Re: I'm a newbie coiler!- twin coil phase drifting

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

My question was
addressing what happens once the primary quenches (should be at
maximum energy in the secondary). I'm thinking that phase drifting
begins at this moment in time if not before.

Remember there is huge capacitive coupling between the two resonators, so they can't be treated as independent even if the bases aren't connected. I've got twin coils to work with just one primary, and the "slave" secondary not connected in any way and just driven via capacitive coupling between the toploads. I could get breakout from either resonator alone, or both, by tuning the DRSSTC driver.

The one thing I couldn't do was get the streamers to connect, though they were long enough. They didn't avoid each other, but just passed by each other. That suggests that the capacitive coupling gives a 90 degree phase shift between the two resonators, and you need twin primaries and/or the secondary bases connected together to allow the desired 180 degree mode.

I was able to get my single primary system to run and give connecting arcs by connecting the secondary bases together, but it suffered badly from primary-secondary flashovers.

Note, there is also a 0 degree mode (what a vibration analyst would call the "rolling mode") which is the one where the streamers seem to actively avoid each other. This mode is suppressed if you only connect the secondary bases to each other and not to ground, but that carries the risk of flashovers. I keep meaning to try grounding the secondary bases through a bank of power resistors, to keep the voltage under control and damp the rolling mode without affecting the wanted one.

Steve Conner