Re: Static Gap Break Rates

Hi Ed,

Yes, there are short term variations on the BPS, one half cycle may have no firings and the next could have three, for example. It does average out for the most part. I'll have to redo the simulations to see if there are patterns that develope with certain combinations. At the time, I was only interested in the average BPS of say a 4 second simulation time. The BPS variation was very short term (less than 100ms) from what I remember seeing.

Gerry R."

Try setting the peak voltage near the breakdown voltage of the gap and playing with the capacitance. You can get conditions where a spark only occurs after several cycles elapse, a condition I've seen with a "real coil". The real coil has variable leakage reactance which I don't know how to simulate. Something else I've seen in a simulation which I think is impossible is the sparks occurring on only on one half of the cycles, a condition which would result in DC flowing in the transformer.

Ed