RE: SSG's- a couple questions

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Neal:

I think that as the number of static gap segments increase, the ease and
speed of quenching increases, but so do gap losses, so it's difficult to
say what's better.  To compound the problem, it's difficult (though
clearly not impossible) to create a few-segment gap and a many-segment
gap with identical breakdown voltages, for an A/B comparison.  OK, that
shouldn't be hard at all - I just haven't done it.  But it is essential
that the breakdown voltage be equal, or else the comparison is invalid.

I've only used NST's as power supplies.  While the party line is that
async RSG's will kill NST's, I think that's true only if one runs the
RSG speed too LOW, AND if there's no safety gap.  But I've never
personally tried an async RSG - only static and sync RSG's.  It's
possible that for higher power systems than what I've built, a high BPS
async RSG is necessary only because the gap heating gets out of hand if
using a static gap or are constrained to a 120 BPS sync RSG.

I'm not sure there's any threshold size or power above which a sync RSG
won't out-perform a static gap.  I think it probably always will, if one
sizes the cap optimally and gap width responsibly in each case.

But please just don't take my opinions and experience unquestioningly.
Build and experiment!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA