Re: NST's shorting out.

Hi Martin,

At 03:47 PM 3/20/2006, you wrote:
These are follow up questions are for Terry regarding your email:

If you doubled the number of NSTs without
changing the primary capacitor size, it is very
possible that the primary will go resonant and
over voltage the NSTs.  12kV at 120mA has a
resonant capacitor size of  27.3nF.  If you are
running 30nF (from below), then you are right on
top of the resonant value.  If nothing stops it,
the voltage might skyrocket to say 80kV!!!

Two follow up questions here. Is there a difference in the resonant cap size between running a "modified" single NST (removing some shunts and running only 15-20 sec to prevent overheating) at 120 ma versus running 2 NST's in parallel where you have two cores operating? Does the Java program take this into account?

When you remove the shunts, the current rating goes up. So you may have say a 15kV 80mA NST. Page four of this formula blurb has the equations for various cases:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/FormulasForTeslaCoils.pdf

This chart has the standard ones and you can sort of interpolate the values too:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/MMCcapSales.gif

As you basically increase the NST's power, you should also increase the primary capacitance. It does not have to be really "exact" or anything, but it should be sort of kinda close.

I think you can input any current of an NST in the program. You can measure the current of the modified NST with an AC ammeter but be very very careful!). Don't go near the meter during the test and be double sure to set it up right. Else, the 15kV will cook the meter real good!

Second, what if I run at 180 ma ?
The primary resonant capacitor size would now be 0.0398 and my smaller .03 cap would be considerably below that value. Would this be less likely to cause the resonance voltage spikes?

I don't know right off. It "sounds" a little risky. It might be small enough to limit the voltage but I am not at all sure.

A rotary gap that is not a synchronous type is
not recommended at all.  It will randomly fire at
any spot on the AC cycle.  A sync gap is twice as effiecient:

Besides the efficiency difference, is there any other reason to get rid of the async gap? Do you think it is contributing to the kickback?

If it fires a lot, it "should" keep the voltage down. But there are a lot of details than can affect things so it is hard to give a general answer. If you don't want to modify the motor and all, I would make a simple static gap rather than use an async gap. Others who have used async gaps with NSTs might know more here.

It was a significant improvement to my static gap ( SG wasn't air quenched, though) so I really hate to get rid of it just yet. A synchronous gap is not on the horizon right now.

Maybe have a fairly good static gap in parrallel with the async. Or, just have the safety gaps properly set. But the safety gaps might overheat if they fire a lot.

As far as another approach to eliminating the primary resonance, what if I add an extra turn to the primary coil? Then the system becomes detuned even further, with the reference cap size going down from .026 to .021. Would this make the system less prone to these resonant spikes? (Java run below):

Only the NST and the primary cap determine max resonate voltage. So changing the primary coil will not affect anything there. The 60Hz resonance is between the NST and the capacitor. You need to either load the NST with so much capacitance that it will not go over voltage or be sure some spark gap will fire anytime and everytime the voltage starts to get to high.

Primary Outputs:
96.81 kHz = Primary Resonant Frequency
15.87 % high = Percent Detuned
28 deg° = Angle of Primary
68.43 ft = Length of Wire
0.499 inch = Average spacing between turns (edge to edge)
2.5 inch = Primary to Secondary Clearance
90.086 µH = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance
0.02123 µF = Cap size needed with Primary L (reference)
373.534 µH = Lm-Mutual Inductance
0.2 k = Coupling Coefficient
5  = Number of half cycles for energy transfer at K
25.17 µs = Time for total energy transfer (ideal quench time)

Or alternatively, if I go away from the (nice) Maxwell .03 mfd pulse capacitor I am using, I have three other caps, each 10 kv: 0.5, 0.3 and 0.3 mfd which I could run hook up in series giving me a total of .115 mfd (but only 30 kv total- I worry about that). Reducing the primary turns to 5 would make this system:

That is a lot of capacitance. I would think the load would be far too great then and the shunts would just saturate (another fascinating subject) causing a loud "buzz" from the NST. Best to try to really get the caps matched up right.

Primary Outputs:
106.37 kHz = Primary Resonant Frequency
7.72 % high = Percent Detuned
48 deg° = Angle of Primary
27.48 ft = Length of Wire
0.753 inch = Average spacing between turns (edge to edge)
2.5 inch = Primary to Secondary Clearance
19.468 µH = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance
0.09792 µF = Cap size needed with Primary L (reference)
184.788 µH = Lm-Mutual Inductance
0.212 k = Coupling Coefficient
4.72  = Number of half cycles for energy transfer at K
21.55 µs = Time for total energy transfer (ideal quench time)

I am concerned that these Chicago Condenser caps are not as well suited to Tesla Coil application, but is this the better approach?

Get MMCs like everyone else ;-)) You might be able to just get a smaller value to add to your 30nF cap and save some money. It all sort of depends on how you can mix and match it all together.

Cheers,

        Terry

Many thanks for your help, Terry.

Martin Fryml