RE: grounding NST's

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Q, all,

Personally I believe that grounding a NST to RF ground is a bad-ish idea. The reason is that the incoming line voltage powering the NST is referred to green wire ground. Therefore, any RF voltage appering on the RF ground will also appear between the NST primary winding and the core, which might cause flashovers.

I think it's better to connect the NST's ground terminal to green wire ground, and use a Terry filter or similar (also connected to green wire ground) for protection.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/