Re: grounding NST's

Original poster: dest <dest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hallo.

> Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Personally I believe that grounding a NST to RF ground is a bad-ish
> idea. The reason is that the incoming line voltage powering the NST
> is referred to green wire ground. Therefore, any RF voltage appering
> on the RF ground will also appear between the NST primary winding and
> the core, which might cause flashovers.

ok - let`s asssume that you have grounded your psu to the green wire,
then when your primary is being zapped, you can get for example 2kv on
this wire, and since rf current would flow only thru this wire and not
thru hot or neutral wire you`ll have now 2kv between the green and hot
one, as well as between green and neutral, coz as you said above "line
voltage powering the NST is referred to green wire ground".
so you are guaranteed to have hv in your home wiring - even without
breakdown of any psu insulation - just by your design.
do you like this situation?
do you like it much more than stressing pri-core insulation - probably
you like to stress home wiring insulation instead?
if so - can you tell me why (or where i`m wrong)?

-----
Let the bass kick! =:-D