RE: Amazing Price (Dental x-ray transformer)

Original poster: "Godfrey Loudner" <ggreen@xxxxxxxx>

I never tried using voltage multipliers, but it looks interesting. My
statement was based upon using only the dental transformer. The arcs
begin to get interesting at high current into the primary, but too much
heat is generated in the primary. If I use a ballast to cut the current
input, then the arcs are thin and pinkish or snapping white bolts. Do I
dare drive up the voltage input too far as I'm sure an internal
breakdown would occur in such small dimensions. Yes, I use transformer
oil, but the oil has been exposed to the air. I'm sure the oil begins to
absorb moisture as soon as the oil can is opened. Also I don't have the
equipment for pulling a vacuum over the oil. Even if I did have such
equipment, the homemade plastic tank would implode. I was told by an
x-ray technician that a dental transformer can take the 90 kV because
the vacuum and oil filling are done by a closed system. Then the oil has
no moisture or air bubbles. But another x-ray technician said that he
fixes the oil in a dental unit by boiling it on a hotplate and just
pouring it back into the tank!!!!!!!!!!! Really, I think I've had enough
fun with the transformers and its time for me to get back to tesla
coils.

Godfrey Loudner