Re: Power Arcing Was: SRSG questions

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 3/31/06 5:09:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Gerry,

Regarding what Dr R was saying (to add to his comments),
What Dr R may have been hinting at is that if there are more
electrodes on a rotor, then the speed will need to be slower for
a given breakrate..... and this may permit re-ignition while the
electrodes are still aligned.  I remember a story by Bob Svangren
many years ago in which he stated that his coil did not like
a rotor with 8 electrodes but it worked fine with a rotor with
6 electrodes.  Using the 8 electrodes he had to run the motor
slower (arsg), for a suitable breakrate, and I'm thinking this may
have permitted power arcing.

John

Hi Bart,

I think Dr. R was hinting at something different than I am.  My
thoughts were about the number of electrical gaps and a larger number
aiding in quenching.  Dr. R, I believe, was refering to the number of
electrodes on the rotor and a larger number (everything else the
same) would reduce the spacing between them and possibly contribute
to preignition.

Gerry R.