More than you want to know about pole pig's

Original poster: Don Murray <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

First some quotes;

Additive polarity is standard for all single-phase distribution transformers 200 KVA and below having high-voltage ratings of 9000 volts and below. Subtractive polarity is standard for all single-phase distribution transformers above 200 KVA irrespective of voltage rating. Subtractive polarity is standard for all single-phase transformers 200 KVA and below having high-voltage ratings above 9000 volts.

Pg. 15-15

Distribution Transformers Tapped Windings. Windings of distribution transformers can be manufactured with various taps to broaden the range of primary voltages suitable for a given installation. The standard taps available are on the primary winding of the transformer and are designed to provide variations in the number of winding turns in steps of 2 ½ percent of the rated voltage. The distribution transformers may be designed with four 2 ½ percent above rated voltage, two 2 ½ percent above and two 2 ½ percent below rated voltage, or four 2 ½ percent taps below rate voltage.

Pg. 15-16

The Lineman?s and Cableman?s Handbook, Eighth Edition, 1992, Kurtz and Shoemaker, McGraw-Hill, ISBN 0-07-035695-5

Where I work we have 4160/2400 - 12000/6930 - 20800/12000 volt primary systems. We stock a lot of 12KV pots that can be used in the 12&21KV. When we cut over an area from 4KV to 12 or 21KV, we use 4X12KV pots. When all the transformers on a circuit are changed to 4X12KV, we drop the 4KV feed. We switch all the 4X12 transformers to 12KV and pick up the new feed. A 4X12KV transformer has a switch on the side, just like a 7200/14400, but it is paralleling 3 coils.

I hope this helps.

Don