RE:Bare SIDAC vs. SIDAC / IGBT Circuit

Hi,

Just to follow up...

I compared the SIDAC / IGBT gap to just shorting across the terminal will a heavy jumper wire. The SIDAC/IGBT gap was fare better than I could do with a direct short!!

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/SIDAC-IGBTvsWireShorting.gif

The SIDAC / IGBT gap is in white and one of my better wire shorting attempts is in yellow. The smaller the spark when I short it with a wire, the less lossy it is. But I could never get near the SIDAC / IGBT gap especially in the latter time frame. The spark probably heats up the contact area cause high losses later on.

I was using a direct short to judge the SIDAC gap's efficiency. I guess it is well past 100% now ;-))

Cheers,

        Terry

Hi,

I compared my new SIDAC / IGBT circuit to a bare SIDAC to see how the losses compared.

At low currents the SIDAC was not super lossy. However at high currents, the SIDAC was very lossy and probably would not work for a spark gap in a Tesla coil at all. I wrote up a little blurb here:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/SIDAC-e-Test.pdf

Cheers,

        Terry