Re: tungsten rods and run time

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

something seems amiss, first thing i noticed is weakish purple sparks with a blazing bright gap, where most of the power is no doubt being used.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:25 PM
Subject: tungsten rods and run time

Original poster: "miles waldron" <mileswaldron@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Here is a pic of my friends running coil; it is throwing 10 and 11 foot arcs
right now.

http://www.gravitymagnet.com/kenmay/images/wn1.JPG

We are having the following difficulty and ask your advise. The tungsten
rods in the async rotary 6 point 4 pickup spark gap glow red hot after 25 to
30 seconds of use. Maybe less. The tungsten rods then disintegrate. This is
bad. How can we improve run time? Do we need another gap? Do we need a
different kind of gap? Do we need to quench this gap with an air compressor?

Here is a link to a close up of the spark gap:

http://gravitymagnet.com/kenmay/images/blueasync.jpg

Thanks!

Miles & Ken
http://www.gravitymagnet.com