Re: New coiler, also in search of 15kv and De-Potting tar filled NST's

Original poster: "Chris Farmer" <cfarmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Speaking of melting the tar out. How much more current do you get per core plate that you remove and is there a limit to how much power a NST can handle before it begins overheating. Also when removing the plate is it relitively easy - as in just detach a section of the core and slide out the windings then just slide em back on, or are they wound threw a physically solid core?

~Farmer

To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2006 2:31 PM
Subject: RE: New coiler, also in search of 15kv and De-Potting tar filled NST's

Original poster: "Jack King" <ekklekktikk@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Drake,

If you don't have any luck searching your local neon shops, I can offer you a 60 ma transformer for between $50-$75. France and Allanson's that are mint get the most$, Newer Magnetek's are slightly less, and if the bushings have a chip (a cosmetic issue rather than performance ailment) then I adjust the price downaward accordingly.

Seeings that there has been a lot of talk with regards to dislodiging cores and coils from their tar filled homes, I thought I'd mention this; I have half a dozen or more 60 MA 12 and 15 kv NST's that have had one or more of the HV bushings sheared off. These are other wise great units, SO, if some ambitious soul wants to have a backyard tar melting festival, these would be PRIME candidates for either de-shunting and/or just paralell connection of multiples for greater current...

If interested in one or more, let me know. I also get great commercial shipping rates and am very flexible with regards to crating and shipping...

Jack 801-604-5136