Re: New coiler, also in search of 15kv

Original poster: DRIEBEN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chris,

That would be (G)round (F)ault (I)nterruptor.
All of the newer NSTs must be equipped with this
safety feature, according to UL. This feau-
ture quickly shuts down the output high voltage
if it detects that there is any leakage to ground.
To my understanding, all of the feedback of a Tes-
la coil circuit also "tricks" it into thinking that
there is a ground fault even though most NST powered
coils run with both input legs "hot". If you have a
GFI'd transformer, you can easily short both of the
"hot" leads from the HV output bushings to each other
with no problem but the instant that you try to short
one of the HV bushing leads to the case, it will im-
mediately trip the breaker button and shut it down.
You have to push the button back in to reset it, much
like the thermal overload protection on electric motors.
Like I said, from my understanding, trying to run a Tes-
la circuit with this type of transformer proves futile
unless you can defeat the GFI feature.

If yours is an older one, then you shouldn't have to
worry about the GFI issue, since GFI'd NSTs have only
been out the last couple of years. As I previously
stated, it looks like you got yourself a good deal.

David Rieben