BLOWER GAP EXPERIMENT

Original poster: "Krohns" <2halice@xxxxxxx>

I decided to keep it simple while building my first Tesla coil, so I built myself a sucker gap. After reading Gary Lau's sucker gap page, I thought that I'd test the gap as a blower instead of a sucker. (Sounds like Spaceballs.) I got some interesting results; I had arcs that were straight across the gap, others that took a parabolic path and still others that went all over the place. If you would like to see video of this weirdness, click on the link below. I would love some feedback from someone who can explain what is happening.

<http://www.halice.com/physics/blower_gap_II.mpg>http://www.halice.com/physics/blower_gap_II.mpg

The gap width is 0.36". The tranformer array is 15KV @ 90mA. The variac is 140 volt @ 15 amps. The "blow" is supplied by my handy dandy shop vac, running at 40-120 volts. AND the video is 12 megs in size.

Looking forward to hearing from someone who knows a whole lot more than I.

Hal