RE: Tesla building questions

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

The answer depends on what the NST load is.  If your load is simply
resistive or a short circuit, the current will probably scale linearly
with Vpri, until the core saturates, also probably very near 140VAC.
But if you are using the NST to charge a capacitor as we like to do in
Tesla coils, some funny things begin to happen, particularly as Vpri
goes past 120VAC.  I've not actually plotted Vpri vs. Isec, but
depending on the cap value, I was pushing between 100-200mA RMS from my
unmodified 15/60 NST.  With a short circuit, Isec @120Vpri was still
close to 60 mA.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Original poster: "Tom Heiber" <tom.heiber@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hmm, two responses, different answers. Any tie breakers? :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom
>
> On 5/11/06, Tesla list <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Original poster: <<mailto:davep@xxxxxxxx>davep@xxxxxxxx>
>

>  >>I have 2 NSTs, each 12Kv @ 60ma. Run in Parallel. Powered by a
>  >>0-140V 20A Variac.
>  >>
>  >>When the input voltage is increased from 120V to 140V using a
>  >>variac. The output voltage on the NST increases from 12Kv to 14Kv.
Does