Re: SRSG - rotor attachment

Hi Bart,

I looked at the grainger bushings and thought the OD of the flange was rather small. The ones at McMaster are larger diameter (over 4 inches), which I think will be desireable for a larger rotor.

Gerry R.

Hi Terry,

I'm not impressed with the set screw shaft attachment. If there is any play in the coupler to shaft, the set screw is going to make the disk "wobble" (especially the looks of this attachment).

I use what I call a press-center hub (split taper bushing). David just mentioned his bushing from Grainger. That is certainly a better choice. They run $6 for a 5/8" bore, so they are very reasonable. The outer flange bolt holes are the same across a range of bore sizes, so coilers could easily pick up a bushing for a different bore (should they change their motor) without having to modify the disc. The secure attachment of this bushing as well as the center fit makes it a perfect choice for RSG disc mounting (and no machining required!).

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Terry Blake" <tb3@xxxxxxx>

Hi all,

There is an item called an arbor attachment for electric motors.
McMaster
catalog page 2523.

The item description is as follows;
Convert your bench-mount motor into a grinder-buffer. Fit this attachment
onto the motor shaft and then mount wire wheel brushes, grinding wheels, and
more. Shaft thread is right hand. Flanges and hex nut are included.

They support shaft diameters from 1/4" to 5/8" and the most expensive one is
only $4.50.

Here is the one you may be interested in;
Item 43555A25
Arbor Attachment for Electric Motors Fits 5/8" Shaft Dia, 1/2"-20 Wheel
Arbor Size
In stock at $4.50 Each

I have never used one of these, but they look promising.

Remember to make an enclosure for the rotary gaps.

Cheers,

Terry Blake
Coiling in Chicago
http://www.tb3.com/tesla/index.html