Re: SISG first sparks!

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,

I think you found my next gap! I have a monster MOT I've been itching to use, and this would be perfect for it. Great work!

David E Weiss

Hi,

I wired up some odds and ends and put the gap on a coil:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/SISG-006.jpg
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/SISG-007.jpg
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/SISG-008.jpg

The firing voltage is 1800V and it is running about 60BPS. The arc to ground is 5 inches.

The coil is 150kHz and the primary cap is 150nF so the bang energy is 0.243 Joule. So its about 14.6 watts. The old IGBT got just barely warm and the new one stayed cool (no heatsinks).

This system was very far from optimal, but it did make nice sparks with the new gap ;-)) When I get a lot more IGBTs, I can run it at 100 times the power ;-)))

Cheers,

Terry