Re: Racing Spark Prediction

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Racing sparks caused by two different 1/4 lamda points as measured from the ground end of the coil. As coupling is increased beyond critical value the freq split occurs which produces two different max potential points which are usually down from the top end winding of the sec. With small toploads, and overcoupling, these produce standing waves along the coil which interfere constructively and destructively with each other and also "beat" against the fundamental freq of the sec coil. This is usually seen on an oscope (as you suspected) a rather strong 3rd harmonic of the coil. Again, the cure is reduced coupling from the critical coupling point. Standard physics --- no new magic
here.

A signal generator is used having it's frequency swept in synchronism with the time base of the oscope. The double hump is clearly visible when the primary to overcoupled to the sec coil. Back off this point until the double hump disappears and you have set the optimum coupling point for your coil. No racing sparks will occur. No need for further adjustment as no further gains in performance will be noted if coupling is increased beyond this point. If you decrease coupling from this point you may loose an inch or two of spark length as measured on the Bob Langren scale device but you will never get racing sparks. A loss of an inch of spark is a fair trade off from having overcoupling and racing sparks.

Dr. Resonance

Hi Bob,

I think that the theory is that racing arcs are caused by a reflection of a third harmonic bouncing back from the top of the coil on the first cycle. Paul or Dmitry can confirm that. Having the top third of the coil reverse wound is supposed to squash that 3rd harmonic reflection and perhaps cure the racing arc. At least that is how I understand it.

I imagine there is a "perfect" place for the reverse winding to begin other that the exact 2/3 point up the coil. But something like Paul's program would be needed to find that. The reversed windings would change the inductance quite a bit though so it would be a little hard to make a direct comparison. But if the idea holds true, the difference in eliminating the racing arcs should be dramatic.

Cheers,

        Terry