Re: Racing Spark Prediction

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

That's correct. and ... that's why it isn't a "pure" waveform. It undulates in a slightly erratic and non-linear fashion.

Dr. Resonance

Hi Terry,

I'm thinking that the fundamental frequencies (the two that split further apart when the coupling is increased) also can beat with each other along with any overtone frequencies (per Paul's animation).

Gerry R.

I think that the theory is that racing arcs are caused by a reflection of a third harmonic bouncing back from the top of the coil on the first cycle. Paul or Dmitry can confirm that. Having the top third of the coil reverse wound is supposed to squash that 3rd harmonic reflection and perhaps cure the racing arc. At least that is how I understand it.