1. It provides the "female" taper that the split taper bushing is forced into to cause the bushing to contract slightly and thereby grip the motor shaft; 2. It provides the tapped holes for the bolts that are uesd to pull the two tapers together. The part of the pulley that actually was intended to engage the vee-belt is not used and could be machined off.

As the three bolts are tightned, the split taper bushing is gradually pulled into the bore of the pulley or sprocket; I'll call it a "hub" from now on.). As the nested tapers on the OD of the bushing and the ID of the hub are forced together, the hub tries to expand, and the split bushing tries to contract. The hub is solid and cannot expand, but the bushing is slotted ("split") and gets squeezed closed slightly, gripping the motor shaft. The "load" (in our case, the RSG disk) is supposed to be connected (bolted) to the the hub, not to the flange on the split bushing.

Many different companies manufacture "split taper bushings", but Browning is one of the largest. The Browning (Emerson Power Transmission) website has some clear illustrations showing exactly how the couplings work, but you must register on the website to get access to the data, and then search very carefully to find what you are looking for.

1. First, go to the website at www.emerson-ept.com
2. Fillout the information needed to "register"
3.Once you are setup with login and password, enter the website
4. Click the "Product Literature" icon at the bottom of the page
5. Enter "taper bushing" in the search box and click "GO"
6.A list of documents will appear; you want document #12, "Browning Mounting Instructions For Split Taper Bushings (Form 4013)".

This shows how the split taper bushing and the hub fit together, and how this assembly fits on the motor shaft. You'll notice that many of the split bushings have six holes in the flange, three through-holes, and three tapped holes. The through-holes are used for the bolts that pull the bushing and hub together; the bolts are removed and re-installed in the tapped holes to force the tapers apart when you want to remove the bushing & hub from the motor shaft.

Assembled with the correct parts, the split taper bushing is an extremely strong coupling, and can grip a shaft with thousands of pounds of force and transmit tens of thousands of foot-pounds of torque.

Regards,
Scott Hanson