Re: Re: Racing Spark Prediction

Original poster: <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

At the risk of speculating ad nauseam (no offence taken or intended)
I believe it was suggested that some R in series with the secondary ground or top load would help attenuate higher frequencies. Better attenuation relative to the fundamental can probably be achieved with L in parallel with R. The idea being to bypass the R at low frequencies. The practical problem is probably constructing the L. Perhaps by passing part of the coil with R. It may be more practical for overtones of the primary and HF components of transients from arcs.

To investigate the third overtone why not tune the secondary to it and vary the bang energy. Perhaps use a secondary with a strip of bare winding so punctures of the insulation do not favour a particular start point and possibly to minimize the voltage to initiate racing parks. The strip could be created by lightly sanding a strip of the secondary.