Re: SISG and primary voltage.

Original poster: "S&JY" <youngsters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Aaron,

One important reason for using higher voltages relates to the energy that
gets stored and released in the primary "tank" capacitor (e.g. MMC).  The
energy is 0.5 * C * V * V  (half CV squared).  In other words, the stored
energy goes up as the square of the voltage.  So comparing a 100 volt supply
with a 10,000 volt supply, the "bang" Joules would increase by a factor of
10,000.

Thus, to use lower voltages and maintain the same bang energy, the tank
capacitor size would need to be increased significantly, requiring the
primary inductance (turns) to be decreased substantially to stay in tune
with the secondary.  This usually is not good because higher inductance
primaries are typically more efficient and reduce the stress on the primary
capacitor.  Better is to substantially increase the secondary inductance (to
lower the resonant frequency) to allow more primary turns with a bigger
primary capacitor.

The other thing one can do is increase the break rate which increases the
average energy into the coil, which, up to a point, increases streamer
length.

That being said, some of the DRSSTC coils perform amazingly well using line
voltage multipliers (several hundred volts DC) instead of transformers to
power their coils.

--Steve Y.