Re: Continuously variable primary

Original poster: dest <dest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hallo Terry.

> Original poster: Vardan <vardan01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> One area of concern is if you put say 20000 volts across 2 turns of a
> 20 turn primary, then the outer unused turn might get up to 200,000
> volts and it might arc over.

you`re forgot about coupling, again : )
primary tubing od - 1 cm, primary id - 20cm, primary od - 82 cm, number
of turns - 20, L1 = 1.621 uH, M = 4.815 uH, V1 = 20 kV.
V2 = V1 + V1 * M / L1 = 79.4 kV

> Sort of like variacs do when they are wired wrong (guess how I know
> that :o)).

variac is a real transformer, tesla coil is not.
so you did something funny like putting 220v into 12v output? : )))
but imo even in this case Vout just can`t jump higher than 2-3 rated
Vout due to core saturation, so no real hv, maybe 1/3 of MOT output : )