Re: Introduction - New TC

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey there, Doug!  I wouldn't count on using up even
*one* of those 50' rolls of tubing.  You'll probably
only need ten or so turns on your primary.  As for
toploads, lots of folks have had good luck with the
dryer duct toroids.  Spun aluminum toroid are sure
nice to look at, but can cost literally 100's of
dollars!!  Unless you're after a museum piece, I'd
avoid costs like that in a first coil.  For my current
coil, I bought two 14" stainless mixing bowls from
Ikea and welded them together.  Alternatively, you can
tape them together with aluminum tape.

Picture of my Ikea-bowl topload in action is here:
http://silicon-arcana.com/tesla/tesla.jpg

A so-called "Terry filter" is probably what you want
to protect your NST with.  Google ought to turn up the
recipe straight away (if Terry doesn't get here
first!).  As for a spark gap, a static gap is probably
the way to go for a first coil.  If you have a leaf
blower or Shop Vac, using this to quench your static
gap can result in much better coil output.  There are
many recipes for quenched static gaps, each of which
has its advantages and disadvantages.  For a first
coil, you might opt for one that is easiest for you to
build so that you don't lose momentum.  Once you have
a working coil, revisit the gap and tune for
performance.

Have fun and play safe!
Regards,
Aaron, N7OE