Re: How much does aspect ratio of secondary really matter (is it all about K ...

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 5/31/06 6:26:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

A lot of what's advocated as being *best* doesn't really
make a lot of difference in performance in general.
Generally what's important in coils is; power throughput,
proper toroid size, good spark gap, etc.

John

Aaron,

I'm adding to my post here.  Certainly the coil whatever
the aspect ratio has to be tall enough so you don't get
breakdown from top to bottom of the secondary.  I was
assuming that in my last posting, but I figure I should
mention it.  One hears that streamers can reach about
3 or 4 times the secondary length as a maximum, and that is
true it seems.  Depending on the breakrate and other factors,
breakdown may occur with less streamer length.