Re: How low can a spark gap go?

Hi Greg,

At 05:00 PM 11/1/2006, you wrote:
BIG "snip"

> The PIRANHA SISG based coil in the link above has a
> Q of about 30
> with Rp=0.25 (electronic gap).  If Rp = 3 (standard
> spark gap) then
> the Q is only 2.5 and the coil would not work well
> at all.  It might
> make a "little" spark...

Cool deal about the SISG spark gap modules. Very nice
documentation. But what about quenching? Do these
SISGs quench at all?

No. So far, they don't quench at all!! I tried a SCR circuit that would drop out the gate voltage after a timing, but it never worked at all... Maybe there will be a quench circuit someday, but not today...

Does quenching matter at super
high Q?

I have not missed it.

I think Mark Dunn has used a low value gate discharge resistor to do the quench some. I think he reported that it helped a little.

The PIRANHA has a big Cp and sort of low Lp so the Q is only about 30 despite the low Rp of 0.25 (it is actually a bit less). Quenching might help there, but ScanTesla does not report any giant advantage or anything.

So I am going with no quench and no sync triggering. Just letting the thing do as it pleases, and it seems very happy ;-)))

Cheers,

        Terry

Thx,

Greg