Re: How low can a spark gap go?

Hi Greg,

I think if we force quench, we are developing losses elsewhere in the coil. But, and here's the rub, get a system to "naturally" quench at 1st notch, and then you have what I would think is a perfect system. That would be a pretty cool goal to achieve.

Take care,
Bart

This is not unprecedented. Years ago on his web site
Gary Lau reported his single static sucker gap had
very low losses, resulting in a high Q primary
circuit. He also found that quenching was awful, yet
his NST-based coil performed very well! From where did
we learn the dogma that extraordinary measures must be
taken with our coils & spark gaps to achieve first
notch quenching? Seems like many "real" Tesla coils
work great without any regard to quenching!

Greg