[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: PIRANHA - New Top Load Configuration
Original poster: Vardan <vardan01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
My PIRANHA SISG coil with the sphere top terminal is getting about
done. I just need to work some on the wiring and tuning still.
The whole coil is looking like this:
Pretty close to the concept :-)
The secondary will eventually be coated with Envirotex. and the top
of the base will have a thin cosmetic cover so the primary and guts are hidden.
The top terminal seems to work very well!
The last picture there is the corona off the top of the secondary
under the terminal at 300kV peak. It will not breakout even at that
voltage ;-) Things might need a little adjustment there but nothing bad.
The dragons are cute and the primary deck worked out well:
The primary coil is actually under the sheet of acrylic and held by
four brackets glued on with 'Weld-On' acrylic cement. The coil is
just insulated #4 wire:
The turn to turn voltage is not super high so the coil will be just
wound tight in the brackets.
I just transferred the SISG guts to a new base board the fits the new case:
So it really is coming together now ;-))
I got a lot of real parts in now.
For the top load, everything is in but I need to oversize the
existing holes and mount the slide shafts into the spheres:
The dragons also arrived today. Four for the corners, and one up top ;-)
Also got the box gluing up:
So it really will turn out pretty close to the concept:
There is also a new "official release" of ScanTesla 8.10 at:
At 09:21 PM 10/15/2006, Vardan wrote:
I have decided to try a new topload configuration for my new
PIRANHA coil. It will use four 8 inch diameter "gazing balls" like this:
3/8 Brass tubing will interconnect the balls and provide
support. The main tubes on the "X" will be 3/8 inch and the balls
will have 3/8 inch ID tubing inserted into them. Thus, the balls
will ba able to slide in and out in a telescoping fashion. The far
end of the tube inside the ball will be epoxied in place. It is
fairly critical to get the tube aligned properly. One could tune
the coil by sliding the balls in and out.
The electrostatic fields look like this:
The 4 inch radius spheres should arc out at 3MV/m or 305kV which is
fine. So It should do about as well as a 24 (or more) x 8
toroid!! The cost is about $100 for the balls and $10 for the
brass. You just enlarge the probably existing hole in the balls to
13/32 inch for the tubes and pour a bit of epoxy inside the balls
at the opposite end to hold the sliding tubes. The center of the
"X" will also be a large brass ball.
The whole coil will look something like this:
I will probably use four little gothic pewter figures like these
for the four strike points down on the base rather than the brass
balls (I'll use them for feet.):
They can be drilled and taped for 1/4-20 and used as top cover hold
down bolts too. The primary coil will probably be hidden under the top cover.
Should be cool!!