Re: The Ultimate Adjustable Tesla Coil Capacitor: .001-1 mfd in .001 mfd increments!

At 04:19 PM 11/2/2006, you wrote:

Original poster: "Jeff Behary" <jeff_behary@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello All,

I've developed a special adjustable capacitor for tuning Tesla Coils.
I've tested and used it for 2 years, and was going to patent the idea but honestly can't afford to. So here it goes, an adjustable capacitor rated from .001 mfd to 1 mfd in .001 mfd increments...it can tune any Tesla Coil exactly and can be easily built by all by off-the-shelf materials. Best of all there are no moving parts...its all done mathematically - and using simple math no less!

http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2006/FloorModelPancake/AdjCap.htm

Jeff Behary, c/o
The Turn Of The Century Electrotherapy Museum
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com";

The same general "binary" design, sometimes using special switches and sometimes how, has been in use for a very long time. I have a bunch of power factor correction capacitors fof WW2 airborne radios which operated from 400~ power. They go from 1 ufd to 21 ufd in 1 ufd steps.
I just connect to them with toggle switches and find them very useful.
I'm pretty sure a lot of precision resistor boxes do the same thing, adding in series rather than in parallel.

and, for, instance, most antenna auto tuners use relays to select Ls and Cs in a binary sequence.

The challenge is in finding suitable relays and capacitors, depending on your switching strategy. The big caps need to have higher current ratings.