Re: The Ultimate Adjustable Tesla Coil Capacitor

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

Hi Jeff, Peter, Ed, All,

Some time in the latter part of 2001, I posted my work to the list on a binary-switched PFC cap bank, using 7 switches to vary the value from 0 uF to ~492 uF in steps of ~3.87 uF. This was a large, heavy box on wheels attached to the low voltage side using dozens of ~40 uF caps in parallel and series, controlled by seven ordinary 20 A household switches . ( Mostly because I had dozens of 40 uF 600V caps and a box of 20 A switches lying around.) At that time, I didn't see a practical and safe way to switch values on the 15 kV side tank capacitors. If the dielectric stands up, then you'll have moved things another big step forward. Nice work!
Matt D.