Re: dual MOT Tesla coil design is complete (fwd)

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I look forward to getting the dual MOT coil running to determine how this fits into the Freau equation picture.

Dr. Resonance

Hi DC,

I think what you say supports the spark_length_proportional_to_sqrt(power) relationship. The relationship is not linear. As the power goes up, the power per foot also goes up. I'm not sure I would call it wasted power for larger coils as I think the power required to produce long sparks is driven by physics.

I have built three small static spark gap coils (90VA, 360VA. 900VA) and they all seem to follow a linear 200VA per foot. However, above these power levels (I have built two SRSG coils at 1KW and 2KW) the relationship seems to become quadradic (power required proportional to spark length squared). Unfortunately, at the time, I did not have the means to measure the "real wall power" for the static spark gap coils but computer simulations seemed to suggest a PF of 0.5

Gerry R.

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I was referring to our large Big Bruiser coil which produces approx 28 ft long spark with 27 kVA input. This also applies to our model M-150 coils producing an 8 ft spark running at 7.5 kVA.

It depends also on the potential a coil achieves which varies with the inductance which of course varies as the square of the radius of the coilform. Big Bruiser is 24 inch dia while the M-150 is only 18 inch dia.

As you pointed out this value is lower for smaller coils. There is a lot of waste in larger coils and the spark gap is the usual suspect for excessive waste.

I won't know exactly until we get this 4.8 kVA IGBT coil up and running ---
perhaps sometime in Jan. Brian V. is going to borrow a bunch of parts from me and work on it while I'm gone this winter. He is also experimenting with Peltier effect cooling on the IGBTs to eliminate the normal heatsinks and fans.

Dr. Resonance

What is this 1kw per foot of spark for classical coils??? It has always been a sqrt(power) and not a linear relationship, has it not?

BTW, my 2KW (real wall power) classical coil generates over 7 foot arcs. So this would make it 285 watts per foot by this reasoning, yes???

Gerry R.

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

with IGBTs the rules are changing. Their much higher switching efficiency and lower losses of heat and light lead to 450 Watts / ft of spark performance as opposed to 1 kW / ft required in classic coils.

Dr. Resonance