Re: series of transformers for high voltage?

Hi Thomas,

Yes, "theoretically" this would work. However, in the "real"
world, there are limitations, like core saturation, losses, and in-
sulation limitations. You can't take (3) transformers rated for
120 volts in/ 1200 volts out and "cascade" them for 120,000
volts output from the final "stage". In the second "stage" the
1200 volts into the 120 volt rated primary winding would
quickly saturate the core of the second transformer and
burn it out before it ever had a chance to reach the "third"
one. The only way what you're proposing would work is
if the second stage transformer was DESINGED for a
1200 volt in/ 12,000 volt out and the third stage transformer
was, once again, DESIGNED for a 12,000 volt input and
a 120,000 volt output. Of course this would be rather
cumbersome when it could be done with a single stage
120v/120kV transformer - plus there would be less core
and copper losses from going trough one transformer as opposed
to three. There are plenty of neon sign transformers (NSTs)
available that step standard household 60 Hz,120 VAC
(50 Hz, 220 VAC for our friends on the other side of the
Atlantic ;^) to several thousand volts in a single "stage".
Most spark gap coilers like voltages in the 10 kV to 15
kV range for their primary tank circuits and NSTs fit this
bill quite well.

David Rieben