Re: High Voltage Power Arc

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

What happened there long story short is that was a test since a problem was detected. Sure enough, 1 of the sf6 switches in series with the air break shorted so the arc formed in air instead. When the arc didn't stop (usually happens when it dead shorts to ground or another phase) a breaker up the line manually cut the power to keep the whole station from going nuclear (notice the green plasma of vaporized copper at the arc points = damage).

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 7:43 PM
Subject: High Voltage Power Arc

Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chrismrutherford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

I put this vid on youtube and someone asked me what caused the ark. I replied but I'm not sure if I gave the correct answer, does anyone have a more accurate description?

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sngLL29LH14>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sngLL29LH14

When you get to high voltages i.e. 50KV with lots of inductive load (long wires) its not a case of switching off the power because the current doesn't want to stop. When the circuit is broken a back EMF is generated that breaks down the air and causes an ark. Eventually the back EMF decreases and there isn't enough voltage or current to keep the air in its conducting state.

Thanks

Chris