Re: High Voltage Power Arc

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chrismrutherford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi All,
I put this vid on youtube and someone asked me what caused the ark. I replied but I'm not sure if I gave the correct answer, does anyone have a more accurate description? <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sngLL29LH14>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sngLL29LH14 When you get to high voltages i.e. 50KV with lots of inductive load (long wires) its not a case of switching off the power because the current doesn't want to stop. When the circuit is broken a back EMF is generated that breaks down the air and causes an ark. Eventually the back EMF decreases and there isn't enough voltage or current to keep the air in its conducting state.
Thanks
Chris

The original video, with the complete explanation, is here:
http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm#500_kV_Switch

Bert