A low inductance MMC

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

All,

A while ago I designed an attempt at a low inductance MMC. It is for OLTC service, so a small inductance is important, because the inductance of the coil`s one turn primary only is 374nH.

The idea was to create a return path from the far end of the capacitor strings back to the start of the strings, which would eliminate the loop area of the return by distributing it within the pack of strings.

When I fitted it to the coil, I had to remove 3µF out of 17µF to tune the coil, which means that this cap added ~87nH of inductance to the coil.

Here are some pictures:

http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/bottom.jpg

http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/top.jpg

http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/top2.jpg