Re: need some capacitor help

Hi Russ,

A 9000 Vrms NST will have a peak voltage of 9000 x SQRT(2) = 12700V. That voltage will arc about 1/2 inch between sharp points in air and maybe a little more along a surface. So if the arc over areas are less than say 3/4 inch you might want to increase the distance or stick some plastic in there. If you are easily arcing longer than that, the voltage might be way to high.

If your NST is 30mA, it has a resonance at 8.8nF which should be avoided or the voltage can resonant up way too high and damage the caps or NST. You value is 6.8nF which "might" be close enough to do that with the 30mA NST. In that case, you might be getting very excessive voltages on the caps and NST. The solution there is to go to a "LTR" cap size which as far safer:

9kV 30mA = 13.3nF
9kV 60mA = 26.5nF

Note: 1nf  = 1000pF = 0.001uF

The higher load of the bigger cap will keep the voltage down to the rating. You can add more caps in parallel if needed.

You could also set the main gap close enough that it fires there instead of across the cap. But the best solution is more capacitance.

Try not to let it short across the cap much, the current is super high and it might hurt the caps.

Your 20kV caps should be fine as far as voltage goes. When you get it running be careful if they start to get too warm though.

Cheers,

        Terry