Re: Pole Pig.

Original poster: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

**big SNIP**

>   Now, can we talk about the ballast for a minute.
> The function of
> this and how to wire it in is a little fuzzy. I am
> thinking it will
> be wired in series with the with the primary
> curcuit.

Yes, you need a current limiter wired in series with
the pole pig primary.  An AC "stick" welder is a
popular choice.  Just wire a special extension cord
for your pig such that the wallplug AC goes through
the welder, through your pig primary, then back to the
wallplug.  This will afford you some amount of current
adjustment.  With the stick welder leads shorted
together, the amps control on the welder will give you
a range of perhaps 28-48 amps.  Leaving the welder
leads open-circuit gives you less than 10 amps, which
is fine for tuning and adjustment runs.  You don't
need an expensive new welder for this.  I got a rusty
old used welder from the classifieds for $25.  With a
good cleaning and a can of spray paint, it looks good
as new.  Others on this list have used a 500' spool of
#10 THHN wire to ballast their rigs to 30A or so.
Homebrew slide chokes seem popular too (imagine that
spool of #10 with a sliding, laminated steel core).

> I have spent
> most of my "Tesla Time" working with NST. I have
> never used a
> "Ballast" with one. I am trying to understand what
> is going on with

NSTs are self-limiting.  When used to illuminate a
sign, they act as both starter and lamp ballast
in-one.  Pole pigs have no such internal current
limiting.  If you use it to fire a spark gap, it will
see a near short-circuit, and it will draw amps from
the wallplug until the breaker trips.

> it. What I am getting so far is that this "Load"
> somehow keeps from
> over-volting things. I don't know how to figure what
> to use? I know
> where to get several different sizes of "Larger
> transformers"
> reasonabley priced, I just don't know what to look
> for yet nor what
> it's function is in a TC. I know that in an old
> automotive breaker
> point system, the ballast was a resistor used to
> keep from
> over-heating/over-volting the coil. I think that the
> "Ballast" in a
> fluoresent light is a Step-up transformer used to
> make the plasma in
> the bulb. I know that "Ballast" can also be wieght
> added to a ship or
> a race car for example. I'm sure someone out there
> will straighten me
> out on this stuff.

You are struggling with the lingo. You need a
glossary.  Try mine at :

http://hot-streamer.com/greg/jargon.htm

My glossary is one of several such on-line resources.
You should visit at least one other--in case I'm
wrong!

> My name is Chip and I'm an addict. To T.C's. that
> is......

Admitting you have a TC problem is the first step
toward becoming even more addicted.  Congrats!

Greg