Re: Pole Pig.

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Chip Ford" <chipford@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks for the almost over-whelming response from everyone. There seems to be some differences in opinion. I really don't understand everything you guys were talking about. Especially the "BANG" energy and figuring the joules. I assume this is what is released from the caps and dumped into the primary coil. The main differences seem to be the BPS. I assume that BPS = Bangs per Second. Is there such a thing as too many BPS? Also, instead of running the ARSG (Air Rotary Spark Gap I presume) faster. Couldn't you just add more moving electrodes or even better, a second set of stationary electrodes? If you do this, a 3450 rpm motor with 8 contacts will yield 460 BPS normally. When you add a second set of stationary electrodes at 45 deg. or maybe better 135 deg., you just doubled your BPS to 920 ! Does this sound right to everyone? Has anyone tried this?

The "bang" energy is the amount of uF stored in the cap that is released when the spark gap ( ASRG or SRSG asynchronis and synchronis rotory spark gap) makes "contact" with the primary circuit... yes you can have too many BPS the cap wont have enuf time to charge completely... it all boils down to the 60Hz cycle of the main power supply, you want to fire off the spark gap when the voltage reaches a peak in the cap, usually at the top of the sine wave of the AC supplying the transformer secondary side.

Anyway, I am hoping to here something about my pole pig soon. I have acquired (2) Maxwell .03uf caps (37667). I am also hoping that the 7200 volts I spoke of earlier. is from bushing to ground. With a (2) Horned pig, This would yield 14,400 Volts indeed.

Now, can we talk about the ballast for a minute. The function of this and how to wire it in is a little fuzzy. I am thinking it will be wired in series with the with the primary curcuit. I have spent most of my "Tesla Time" working with NST. I have never used a "Ballast" with one. I am trying to understand what is going on with it. What I am getting so far is that this "Load" somehow keeps from over-volting things. I don't know how to figure what to use? I know where to get several different sizes of "Larger transformers" reasonabley priced, I just don't know what to look for yet nor what it's function is in a TC. I know that in an old automotive breaker point system, the ballast was a resistor used to keep from over-heating/over-volting the coil. I think that the "Ballast" in a fluoresent light is a Step-up transformer used to make the plasma in the bulb. I know that "Ballast" can also be wieght added to a ship or a race car for example. I'm sure someone out there will straighten me out on this stuff.

a ballast used in AC operation is a device used to limit current flow to the pole pig etc , it can consist of capacitors, resistors ( a stove heating element for example) or an inductor ( normally something like a transformer core with one winding) as AC flows thru an inductor it creates a magnetic field in the core and as the AC changes its direction, the magnetic field in the core opposes the flow in the wire thus reducing the current available to the pole pig ( important note here... pole pigs are not current limited like an NST, in other words, if you hook up a pole pig to the supply voltage, it will pull 100's of amps when the secondary side is "shorted" ( like in running a Jacobs ladder) NST's have something called "shunts" built into the core, they basically limit the maximum amount of current that can be produced by the NST ( shunts are pieces of thin metal layered together like a deck of cards and placed between the core halves to divert some of the magnetic flux flow from the secondary side).

Im sure someone else will supply more technical answers   :)

Scot D

see this page for some explination of coiling...
http://members.cox.net/bunnikillr/

My name is Chip and I'm an addict. To T.C's. that is......