x-rays from TC capacitors?!!!

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

I stumbled across an odd idea.

If a home-built stacked-plate capacitor is operated with high-volt pulses,
then the thin air-film trapped between the foils and the dielectric sheets
will glow violet.  (I verified this idea using a quickie test device made
from a thin glass bowl, foil on the bottom, and salt-water on the top.
Sure enough, under pulsed HV drive there's a purple glow shining from the
foil surface under the glass.)

Ah, but we know that plasma leads to pumping: both from ion pump effects
where gas molecules embed into metal surfaces, and also from N2 turning
into metal nitrides, and O2 turning into metal oxides.  (Plasma does
chemistry.)

So I seal up the edges of the foil on the glass/saltwater cap, then run it
for awhile.  Sure enough, the purple glow from between the foil and glass
changes color after a few minutes.  Becomes greyish.  Maybe even greenish.
I place it on the large ion chamber of a GM counter, but don't detect any
rise above background count.  I could keep running it for lots more
minutes, but I'd burn down the contacts of my little "vacuum tester TC."

So... any high-voltage pulse capacitor which is sealed but which isn't
vacuum-impregnated with oil is going to have plasma-filled air films, and
the internal pressure is going to drop over time.  And in theory, over
time these air layers might pump down to just below non-glowing vacuum
threshold, and then start emitting soft x-rays!

What to do?  The whole problem might be a crackpot idea, eh?  It's all
speculation (except for my glass/saltwater test.)  Suggestion: paint the
outside of your home-built well-sealed Tesla coil stacked-plate capacitors
with ZnS glow-in-dark paint.  Run them in a darkened room separate from
the bright streamers and spark gap.  Or instead make an xray alarm: a
solar cell as sensor, painted with fluorescent paint and embedded in black
epoxy or silicone.

First one to detect a dim green glow wins a prize:  slightly irradiated
gonads!

:)

If the effect ever proves real, then does it mean we can replace the
vacuum tube in the dentist office with a bunch of aluminum foil layers
with spontaneously-appearing vacuum inside?   (And would a cylindrically
wrapped capacitor act as a line-source of x-rays?)

More pure speculation: if capacitors ever do emit x-rays, then it gives
one more source of x-rays that Nikola with his fluorescent screens and
glass photographers plates might have stumbled upon.  Yes, he probably did
find x-rays when operating his carbon button lamps.  But what if he
hadn't?  Imagine how confusing it might have been if he'd tracked down the
capacitor as the source of a new kind of radiation, only to later hear
from Roentgen that vacuum tubes also produce it.

William J. Beaty              Research Engineer
beaty chem.washington.edu     UW Chem Dept,  Bagley Hall RM74
billb eskimo.com              Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700
ph425-222-5066                http//staff.washington.edu/wbeaty/