Re: Big MMC, final question, 2nd request

Original poster: "S&JY" <youngsters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jim,

Here is my two cents worth.  A number of emails have expressed concerns
about the inductance of an MMC.   I don't share that concern.  Whether or
not the MMC layout contributes more or less inductance I don't think
matters.  There is also inductance associated with connecting wires, the
spark gap, etc.

Except for the primary, all other inductance is "off axis" inductance,
meaning there is insignificant coupling to both the primary and the
secondary.  The only practical effect off-axis inductance has is to affect
the tuning of the primary.  This is easily taken care of by adjusting the
primary tap point.

The off-axis inductance will exhibit practically no losses.  This has been
demonstrated and reported on the list--it's a practical way to increase
primary inductance when there is no way to add more turns to the primary
itself.

So I would not be concerned about MMC inductance and concentrate more on
proper spacing to prevent arc-overs, ease of adding and removing strings,
etc.

By the way, I don't think you need to go to the bother of using crimp
connectors plus soldering for your MMC.  Twisting cap leads together &
soldering is all that is needed.

--S. Young