From: <mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>Tesla list
To: <mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 1:20 PM
Subject: Re: BTC30 KIT lets help this guy build this thing.

Original poster: <mailto:jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx>jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx

I had the kit for about a week but I did not do anything with it
because the directions confused me.  And then the teacher made me
bring it back to school because he does not know if the school
Originally paid for it or if the previous teacher bought it
himself.  Apparently I can't have it if the school bought it and I
might not even be allowed to build it without teacher supervision
because if I get hurt I could sue the school and they don't want that. GRRRRRR
The school is slow at deciding anything but I am optimistic because
the school will only buy stuff from certain companies and thankfully
information unlimited is not one of them so there is a good chance
that it was bought by the teacher and not the school. But the next
meeting that the people are having is after Christmas.(yet another GRRRR)
I can try and get pictures and a list of every thing it comes with.
I will have to borrow a digital camera or I could just wait until
Christmas when I will be getting one(yay).

There is a list of stuff on the plans but I don't know if the kit has
all of it in it.
If anyone want the plans I could scan them and put it on
photobucket.  How does photobucket thing work?

The instructions say that the transformer it comes with 6000v and
23ma I don't know it that is the actual value or not.
I would buy a bigger one if there was a neon sign shop near where I
live, and I would buy one from ebay except my parents won't let me
for a while because not too long ago I spent $150 on a cool element
collection.(The Everest Collection I highly recommend it if you are
in to that stuff)

Same for the capacitors which is why I was wanting to make one and I
already have some metal plates and I am guessing that some mineral
oil and glass or plastic or something for a dielectric can't cost
that much and could be easily replaced.

<<mailto:Jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx>Jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx>mailto:Jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx>Jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx

From: "Tesla list" <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>

 > Original poster: <mailto:gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 >
 > KIT????
 >
 > So you actually have a KIT, not just PLANS?
 >
 > I think with a little help from the group we can help you turn that
 > thing into a GOOD Tesla Coil.
 >
 > I will look for my BTC30 plans tomorrow. Not sure I still have
 > them. I think they were trashed.
 >
 > Take some pictures of your kit parts. Post some information about
 > what you have. Upload your pics to your web page or to
 > <http://www.photobucket.com>www.photobucket.com so we can take a look.
 >
 > Post the link to the pics.
 >
 > In the mean time locate a power supply like a USED neon sign
 > transformer from a local sign shop the going price is about $20.00
 > for a 15K 30ma. check ebay for neons.
 >
 > What does your kit include?????
 >
 > Gary Weaver

&

gt; > > Some thoughts on the consequences of continued improvement.

 > > > 1) Several decades ago, Isaac Asimov, in one of his robot stories,
 > > > posed the following question: How many organ transplants or
 > > > artificial replacements can you receive before you are no longer
 > >legally you?
 > > > 2) At about the same time, a anecdote appeared in one of the
 > > > "humor" sections of Readers Digest: A tour guide at Mount Vernon was
 > > > showing a group around and pointed out George Washington's Original
 > > > Axe. When asked about its excellent condition, he explained "Well,
 > > > over the last two centuries it has had three new handles and two
 > >new heads."
 > > > 3) In the e arly days of PCs, IBM stuck its toe into the market
 > > > with their "own" brand. IIRC, it was called PC-jr. It turned out that
&g
t; > > the only parts designed and manufactured by IBM were the keyboard and
> [...]
 > > > PC manufacturers.
 > > >
 > > > At some point in the "improvement" cycle, your TC will cease to be a
 > > > BTC30 and will instead be a unique, home-made TC, perhaps in a BTC30
 > > > case. This is neither a good thing nor a bad one, but it's something
 > > > to be aware of.
 > > >
 > > > Good Luck,
 > > >
 > > > Matt D.
 > > >
 > > > In a message dated 11/27/06 12:33:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
 > > > <mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
 > > > Original poster: Shaun Epp
 > > >
 > > > Jay,
 > > >
 > > > I read over their design for the BTC30 and I ran it into a program
 > > > called Wi nTesla . You definitly make a diferent primary. make one >
 > >with about 10 turns of copper tubing, 3/16 inch refridgeration tubing
 > > > would be good, space them 3/16 up to 1/4 inch between each turn.
 > > >
 > > > Your coil without a toriod output terminal should tune at 8 to 9
 > > > turns on the primary. If you connect a 2" by 8" toriod to the top of
 > > > the secondary coil, like the instruction recommend, you'll tune at
 > > > about 5 turns on the primary. You'll also get better sparks if you
 > > > use a toroid or some kind of topload as they are called.
 > > >
 > > > If you mount your primary on a sheet of plastic with a hole in the
 > > > middle to go over top the secondary, you can raise (move it up) the
 > > > primary and increase coupling between the primary coil and the
 > > > secondary coil. The output sparks sh ould g et bigger and brighter as
 > > > you raise the primary. Do this 1/4 inch at a time (of course with
 > > > power off). You will reach a point where they sparks don't get more
 > > > powerfull and the sparks could jump down the side of the secondary
 > > > coil. If this happens lower it back down 1/4 inch to where it runs
 > > > ok. Each time you raise or lower the primary, you may need to adjust
 > > > the tuning of it.
 > > >
 > > > If you can, get a bigger capacitor, this would give you more
 > > > power. 0.005 uF is small for you power transformer. 0.0082 uF is
 > > > the resonant value, this value could damage your
 > > > transformer. 0.013uf would be ideal and give maximum power.
 > > >
 > > > Your spark gap might overhead and run funny after you've run the coil
 > > > for a few 10's of seconds. You could h ave a small fan, like a
 > > > computer fan blow on the spark gap. This will cool it and make the
 > > > coil run better. If you can, a two gap (2 spark gaps connected in
 > > > series) would make the coil run alot better. Also after running the
 > > > coil a few times, cleaning the gap with 600 grit sand paper helps
 > >&g
 > >t; proformance alot.
 > > >
 > > > Make sure that the wire that the secondary is wound with doesn't go
 > > > inside the secondary coil form (pvc tube) , I know that is what the
 > > > instructions show but this can cause problems, the sparks can jump
 > > > inside of the coil and it woun't run right and can permenantly
 > >damage the coil.
 > > >
 > > > GROUND. It is very important that there is a good ground wherever
 > > > you plug this tesla coil into. Your coil performance will cha
nge > > > wherever you plug in depending on the ground and how far from the
 > > > electrical panel you are. Have someone check the plug receptical
 > > > where you plug in.
 > > >
 > > > *Anyone on this list will recommend that you don't draw sparks to
 > > > your body! Use only a grounded rod that is insulated from you.* The
 > > > skin effect with high frequencies isn't a safe assumption with tesla
 > > > coils. There are low frequencies too. These things can hur t you.
 > > >
 > > > That is all I can think of right now. I hope it helps! : - ))
 > > >
 > > > Shaun Epp
 > > >

 > > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list"
 > > > Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2006 2:47 PM
 > > > Subject: Re: Information Unlimited BTC30 coil