Re: series question..

Hi Chip,

Will 16,000 be enough???

NO, the PIG's 14400V spec is an RMS rating with 240Vrms on its input. If you put 280Vrms into the PIG, you will get 16800Vrms out. The peak voltage will be about 23800 volts (sqrt(2)*Vrms) with a properly set main gap (static). If you use a SRSG at 120BPS, the peak voltage can be made to be much higher if the Cp is too small. You may have said what type of spark gap you are using but I've forgotten.

Your calculation for a 8 cap string is correct. If all caps same value and ratings, divide the value for one cap by number in string and voltage ratings add.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Chip Ford" <chipford@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

If I have (8) Capacitors rated at .15uf 2000volt. I connect them in series. Would my rating now be .019uf @ 16,000volts? If I was to go the route of MMC's. How much would one recommend over-rating them for longevity's sake. For example, my pole pig output is 14,400 volts. Will 16,000 be enough??? Or would one recommend plenty of over-rating????

Thanks,
Chip...