RE: series question..

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Your rating calculation is correct, but you're not going to get a
capacitor to run with a pole pig that cheaply.  Two problems.

The peak voltage from a 14.4kV transformer is at least 1.414 (sqrt of 2)
x 14.4kV, or 20.4kV.  So a 16kV cap falls short.  I would shoot for at
least a 24kV rating.

But more importantly, the RMS current rating is surely not sufficient.
There's a good reason that folks building MMC's for use with pigs use
many paralleled strings - to handle the higher current that a high BPS
pig system sees.  Over-currenting a cap will kill it much faster than
over-volting.  The current calculations are a good deal more complex
than the voltage calculations, and having never attempted a pig system,
I've not looked into exactly how to do that.  Terry has links to the
formulas and a program that calculates such things on his MMC page -
http://www.hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/mmcinfo.htm.  Good luck!

Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Original poster: "Chip Ford" <chipford@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> If I have (8) Capacitors rated at .15uf 2000volt. I connect them in
> series. Would my rating now be .019uf @ 16,000volts? If I was to go
> the route of MMC's. How much would one recommend over-rating them for
> longevity's sake. For example, my pole pig output is 14,400 volts.
> Will 16,000 be enough??? Or would one recommend plenty of
over-rating????